Saturday, May 30, 2009


5/28/09
It’s been a few days since I’ve had a chance to write. I usually spend any downtime napping since we are on the run during the day and out at night more often than not.

Last few days in Paris. Last time I wrote, I thought I was going to bed. That didn’t happen. Sleep is actually a pretty uncommon occurrence in this group. The 17 or so of us are all getting along quite swimmingly, and we pay the price because of it. That night, we found a few bars down the road from our hotel and all went out. We became regulars at Pub Brussels, a two-minute walk away from the hotel. Sylvain and Oouaid (pronounced wah-eed) earned college funds for their children from our patronage. Throughout the week, we met many interesting locals at that bar. I enjoyed the insight into the French culture.

The next day was a little rough. Alex and I were up for 8:30 and went to see the Louvre. Only about half of the group made it, but many of those went later. We saw the famed Mona Lisa… yay. It isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, but still worth the visit for all of the famous art.

On the Monday, we had our first class. I have two classes with Danny, but I go to Jay’s classes anyway because he might possibly be one of the interesting people I know. He is quick witted and usually has an odd story to tell. After class, we had a guest lecture from a French journalist who writes for a prominent French newspaper. Jay taught her journalism at LSU some years back. We then headed to the Eiffel Tower again to take the actual tour. It was a little stressful standing in the crowded lines but the view was pretty stellar.
After that was the boat ride on the Sienne River. We saw some beautiful French architecture and got a really good look at the French culture. Hundreds of them set out blankets on the edge of the river and rest for up to several hours each day. Some eat cheese and drink wine, some play guitar, some talk and many display their affection publicly. I’d like to set out a blanket on the Mississippi when I get back home, but somehow I don’t think I’ll get the same effect.

Our last night in Paris was a little dramatic, for me at least, but it turned out to be amazing. Though we were leaving to catch the Eurostar to London at 7:45 the next morning, we knew we had to experience the French culture for just one more night. Nearly the whole group stayed out through the night. We met a large group from Tahiti and it was great mingling with them. 

The next morning, everyone was ready to go to London, despite the fact that we all looked like death. I was hoping to catch some sleep on the train, but instead laughed at Shipka and Sarah Hairston the whole time. Finally, we got to London. After getting acquainted with the neighborhood and the hotel, we all crashed for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment